Friday, May 27, 2011

Tutorial- Polo Skirt

I know I said the next tutorial would be for the Monogram Wreaths...but the pictures got a little misplaced on my computer. So, until I can locate them, here's another skirt tutorial!



I made this skirt for the "Summer of No Pants" challenge over at Hideous, Dreadful, Stinky. It's one of four skirts I have made to keep me from wearing the same old jeans and t-shirts this summer!!

I call this the Polo Skirt, because I orginally wanted to wear a polo with it for a dressy outfit, but now I think it looks better with a tank top for a semi-dressy look!

Let's get started!

Materials:
1 yard of fabric ( I used a heavier weight to make it dressier)
1 zipper 10"-14" depending on how long you would like it.
sewing supplies- scissors, thread, sewing machine, etc.

I used one of my favorite skirts as a guideline for the shape. make sure you cut at least 1" around the outside of your orginal skirt to have room for seam allowances and fit. You can always take it in if it's too big!


Cut one front piece, and one back piece. Then take your back piece, and split it in half longways.


You now have your three skirt pieces.


We'll tackle the zipper first since it can be the most intimidating! Lay your zipper right side down along the top edge of one of your back pieces. If you're using the left back piece, it should look like the picture below.


Using a zipper foot, sew along the lengh of the zipper attaching it to your skirt piece.


Unzip the zipper, flip it over and do the same on the other side. If this gets confusing, pin it where you think you'll sew it and flip it around to see what it will look like sewn. This will let you know if it's right, or if you need to make an adjustment! Sew the zipper to the other skirt piece.


Now, you need a split in the back of the skirt, or you'll never make it in and out of your car, or up a flight of stairs. Decide how high up you want the split to be. Make it at least 5 inches for ease, higher if you dare!! mark the top of the split with a pin.


Also mark the bottom of your zipper, where the pull will stop. You should have a few inches between the top of your split and the bottom of your zipper.


  Now to finish the split, turn in 1/4" and again 1/4" and sew the edge down. This will get rid of the raw edges and give you a nice clean split to your skirt.


See! Nice and pretty!


Now, starting at the top of the split, where you should have pinned, sew the skirt together until you reach the pin at the bottom of your zipper. make sure your zipper tapes are to the inside of the skirt (wrong sides of the fabric), otherwise they'll stick out the back!


Run a couple of stitches across the bottom of the zipper tape to make sure it stays in place, and your zipper pull stops where it should. You can trim any excess tape off the end.


Now...you have a functioning zipper!! You can topstitch around the zipper if you like. I find that it helps the zipper lay better and keeps the fabric away from the zipper opening.


Now, lay both of your skirt pieces right sides together and pin them together down the sides.
Stitch up the sides using a 1/4" seam and finish with a zig-zag stitch to keep the ends from fraying.


Now just hem the bottom and top by turning under 1/4" and again 1/4 inch to hide the raw edges, and you have a wonderful Polo Skirt!!


Looks Great and ready to wear!!

It was perfect for walking around the beach with my baby girl!!


I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial! If you make the Polo Skirt, I would love to see pictures!!

Happy Sewing!!!

7 comments:

  1. What a cute skirt! Thanks for sharing your blog with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! And you made it look so simple. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt and lovely tutorial! I'm going to try some more clothes myself in the coming weeks - so I'll come back to this later!!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your skirt!! The material is so cute. Thanks for making a zipper look easy! I've been too chicken to try but you made it look do-able. Helps my confidence! :)
    shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your skirt! I am pinning this to my Pinterest board. I need all the help I can get when zippers are involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial! I love you style too! That skirt oooh it calls to me :) I think I am going to go see if I have something pretty patterned in a heavier material then plain cotton and try this! Thank you so much for the great inspiration! I'll comment again once i make it and link to pictures :)
    Bonnie
    ridingthebonnieway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...