Thursday, January 26, 2012

Drying Flowers-Simple Tips

I have finished drying the flowers from my Papa's funeral a few weeks ago. I always keep flowers from funerals and weddings that are important to me as a reminder of the person/event. All of the little bouquets are safe and pretty in my china hutch.

I wanted to share with you how I dry my flowers to keep a pretty bouquet shape and keep vibrant color in the petals.


You'll want to select flowers that will dry well. Not all do. Hydrangeas, daisies, and orchids (in my experience) are very fragile and don't keep their color or shape well, but can be dried just the same.

Arrange your flowers into a bouquet and tie the stems together with string. I used jute.


Here is the key to keeping the color and shape....
Dry them in the refrigerator...upside down!!


Find a shelf to tie your string around, and clear some space so the flowers aren't pressed against anything. If they are pressed against a door or wall of the fridge, rotate the flowers every few days to keep them from flattening.


A small bouquet takes about 5 weeks to dry in the fridge. It may seem like a long time, but it soooo worth it. Just look at the colors of the dried flowers below!


Almost 4 years later, the cake topper from mine and Hubby's wedding is still a beautiful and vibrant orange color. It looks gorgeous displayed in our home and is a sweet reminder of our special day.



My bouquet was full of orchids and hydrangeas (remember those don't dry well), so it didn't dry as pretty as the other arrangements, but look a the color of the roses. They kept their beautiful varigated color.


I hope you can use these tips in drying your own flowers to remember a special occasion, or just a gorgeous bloom from your garden.

With Valentine's Day coming up it would be a great way to preserve a beautiful bouquet to enjoy for a LONG time.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought about hanging them in the fridge. We have to yellow roses from funerals in the family since Mike and I have been married. I am glad to know I am not the only one who keeps them.

    I will have to remember this tip for the next time I get flowers I want to save. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! What a great tip! I don't save real flowers often, but the few times I have they never look nice so I end up throwing them away! I'm so excited to try out your tip next time! All of your flowers look beautiful! Thanks so much!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading...I love to hear what you have to say! If you are anonymous, or a no-reply commenter, leave your e-mail address so I can write you back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...