Monday, October 24, 2011

Ready To Run

{Cue the cheesy Dixie Chicks music...}

I am training for my first 5K!! Now that it's out in the universe...I can't back out! I am by no means a runner. Never have been. I played my fair share of sports and did a lot of "running" during those sports, but I have never thrown on my shoes and started running down the road for no real reason. I still don't see why some people LOVE to run all. the. time. But it's starting to grow on me.

I run when I get off of work at 6 in the morning, so its quiet and cool outside. I grab my iPod, jump out of my car, and take off down the road. This probably looks quite rediculous, because I'm running in scrubs. I wear athletic shoes to work and usually just wear scrub pants and a t-shirt, so it's not really too far off from normal work-out clothes anyways. I started running around my neighborhood, but after a few encounters with being chased by an early morning schoolbus, I decided to take my running elsewhere. The hospital I work for has a sister-campus a couple of miles away with a walking/running track around its perimeter. The track is 1-mile long, so perfect for trying to see how well you're doing with training! There's always people there so even when its super dark out in the mornings I'm never alone, which I appreciate.

The 5K is in 2 weeks. I have been training for 3 weeks already. It was a short goal, but I knew if I gave myself too long to train I would skip days and not be as committed. I am up to jogging/running 2 miles now without walking! I have 2 weeks to add in that 3rd mile, so I KNOW I can do it.

The race is in Clemson. For those of you who are new readers (Welcome!!), you must understand that I am a Die. Hard. Clemson. Fan. I didn't go to Clemson, because it wasn't a good fit for me (not having my major had a LOT to do with it!), but I love me some Clemson football, and the campus is gorgeous. I've driven through the campus hundreds of times, but this will give me a new view of things.

If any of you are runners and live in the Clemson or SC upstate area, HERE is the link to the race. It's not too late to sign up! They have a 1K fun run for kids too. Gray won't quite make that one. It takes us 20 minutes to walk to the nursery at church right now...but maybe next year!

I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do all the things you do! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...