Friday, October 28, 2011

Gray's New Jacket

I wasn't loving a lot of the baby jackets on the market....the cute ones weren't warm enough, and the warm ones were too puffy....and the really cute ones were too expensive for her to outgrow in a few months. After going on my Fabric Shopping Extravaganza, I came home with the perfect materials for a jacket for Gray.


I think it turned out very Baby Gap-like


It's made of buttery soft suede and lined with fleece, so it's super soft AND warm, but it's not really bulky.

All of the raw edges are hidden, so in theory it's reversible...but I wouldn't want the suede on the inside. Maybe I'll do another one day with two fleece colors and make it reversible...but that's for another day.


Ya'll know I'm incapable of following a pattern, so this is another "Jenilyn Original". I measured Gray, added a little room and seam allowances and used shapes of other things I've made her to create the shape I wanted. Hubby wanted her to have a collar instead of a hood, so this was my first attempt at a collar, but it was easy peasy.

I'm still scared of sewing buttonholes (which is why I've never done it) even though I have a buttonhole attachement thingy on my machine, so I think it's set-and-go....one day I'll try it out. The elastic loops are fun anyways.


It kept her toasty warm in the Mountains last week.


I love that it matches her little boots.


She's got room to grow in it, but I've got LOTS of the suede leftover, so if I don't make pillows, or a jacket for me...I can just make her another in a bigger size!


I am over the top thrilled with how it turned out and I'm glad she likes to wear it. I think she needs a few more in other colors to match everything!

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this is ridiculously sweet! Love that its not too "girly"! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling coat!! :) Love that it's lined and the shape of the collar is awesome. I'm scared of buttonholes too, even though I've made a few. I actually had my sewing genius friend help me with a set of buttonholes on coats that were actually for her kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And your model is a cutie too. Visiting from TT&J :) I would love for you to link this up to my fashion party! It's called DIY Diva Thursdays and we party Th-M every week. Hope to see you!

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that is adorable! I have made a couple of things for my little one without a pattern but I had never thought to wing a jacket. I think I may have to give it a shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really really cute (I too am incapable of following a pattern). Great job.
    Jenn
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is unbelievably well done and ADORABLE! I'd like one in my size, that's how cute it is! Gray is one lucky kid. You are one talented lady.

    I'm your newest follower. Please stop by and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! I have seen similar patterns out there but my almost 11 yr old would never let me make him one LOL. And I doubt I could convince the hubs to try for another boy since were up to three already haha! Well done, It turned out so so cute! I would be delighted to have you stop by and link this up to my VIP party this weekend! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/10/vip-party-34.html Have a safe and happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO stinkin' cute! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Party!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2011/10/for-this-weeks-party.html

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I need to make one for my little one too...all for the same reasons as you. Good idea to use suede.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! I think my daughter might need one.:) I should get to work.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really darling, I love how it turned out. I was afraid of buttonholes too, trust me it really is so easy!! I read this http://www.youcanmakethis.com/products/free/free-buttonhole-basics.htm about buttonholes, gave it a shot and realized it wasn't scary at all. Now if I can overcome my fear of zippers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love the classic look it creates. I am also scared of trying button holes. I keep telling myself just to practice on scrap cloth as I never want to risk ruining a project, but I always choose to sew something else instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing job, I cant believe it was done without a pattern...and you're scared of buttonholes???

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous, I know what you mean about jackets being too puffy and it just makes them so much harder to carry and get in and out of the car. This is just a beautiful jacket. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...