Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pumpkin Trio- Tutorial

Here is my original post over at The Crafty Nest  for the Pumpkin Trio as part of their "Crafty Days of Halloween".

You just can't have too many pumpkins around Halloween, and at the first signs of October, mine are out on the porch, welcoming in the fall. Halloween pumpkins don't always have to be scary, or carved! I'm going to show you how to make three wonderfully decorated pumpkins using paint and three classic designs: Polka Dots, Argyle, and a Monogram.


Let's Get Started!!

Materials:
3 artificial pumpkins of any size and color
Acrylic paints, any colors
Paintbrush
Diamond pattern or stencil
Quarter
Coordinating ribbon


I could not find white pumpkins, but I wanted them white, so I grabbed some paint I had at home and painted them. You could make your pumpkins any color you would like, just make sure your accent colors will show up!


TaaDaa! Three lovely white pumpkins.


Using a pencil or marker, trace a quarter onto your pumpkin to make polka dots.


Try to stagger them a little bit so they're not in straight lines. You could trace dimes too if you wanted tinier dots, or mix it up a little and do both!


To start your argyle pattern, center your diamond shape or stencil on the middle of your pumpkin. Trace the pattern all the way around, touching the side corners of the diamonds. Your pattern may not line up exactly once you get to the back, but that's why it's the back side!


For your Monogram Pumpkin, you can freehand an initial, or three letter monogram, or....if you need inspiration, find a font you love and print your letter out. You can make a stencil or try to freehand copy the letter onto the pumpkin with pencil or pen. If you have access to vinyl letters, this would be a wonderful time to use them!


Now to add some color....

I chose my three favorite colors for fall: sage green, bright orange, and chocolate brown.


Using a fine paintbrush or sponge, begin to paint your designs onto your pumpkins. It may take a couple of coats of paint to get it as dark as you want it. Just take your time.


Alternate the colors of your dots so that there is a nice pattern.



When painting your argyle, make sure you alternate between two colors for your diamonds. I chose to do mine orange and green.


Once your paint has dried, it's time to finish the argyle design. Place dots of a dark, contrasting color of paint in the center of each diamond. Also place dots in the center of the highest and lowest point between your diamonds.


Connect those dots with an "X" using dots or dashes to make the lines.


Repeat all the way around your pumpkin until you get back to where you started.


Add a bow or other embellishments to finish off your pumpkins.


Group them together to adorn your front porch, or as a beautiful fall centerpiece.


Sit back, admire your craftiness, and enjoy the blessings of fall!

Featured On The Crafty Nest





IhookedupwithHoHlamespice




7 comments:

  1. Cute. I like the monogram! Stopping in to follow and say hey from the blog hop - hope you have time to visit and return the favor soon! www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the argyle pumpkin!!

    New Follower from Meet Me Monday Blog Hop. Hoping you will follow back! =0)
    My Crazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest GFC Follower. Hopping by from the Tuesday Train Hop. I hope that you can stop by www.indianacouponsavings.com and follow me too. Debs Dealz and I are hosting a month long Boo Hop. There are 114 different link ups. I hope that you can stop by. Thanks!!

    http://indianacouponsavings.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-halloween-boo-hop-all-month-long.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEK! Your pumpkins are AMAZING! Love that argyle... wow.

    I'd love for you to link up to my pumpkin party:

    "Pumpkinspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!! I am your newest follower :)
    Would LOVE if you could follow me back thank you!!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featuring YOU over on my blog today! Thank you so much for linking up to my {wow me} wednesday party last week. :) Feel free to stop by & grab a featured button!

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2011/11/take-look-at-you-my-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!

    Love for you to join my Linky Party - JAQS "Made by ME" at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-6-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...