Monday, December 26, 2011

A New Quilt

The quilting bug has bitten again..... and I've finished my second quilt!
Some of you may remember my First Quilt that I made for Grayson for her birthday.

This new quilt too, is special. It was made for a college sister of mine, for her new baby. She will be having a little girl in just a few weeks! Her nursery will be blues, greens, and yellows (very much like Grayson's) so I wanted her to have something warm and soft to match her nursery.


The fabric for this quilt was from a jelly roll that I fell in love with at Hobby Lobby. I'm a sucker for blues and greens, so I bought it with no project in mind, and then HAD to use it for this quilt. I love how it turned out!

I threw in some white strips to lighten it up a bit.


The patterns have a few flowers and butterflies, but it doesn't scream GIRL. She will share a room with her brother (Grayson's age) for a while, so it won't be too girly for him too.


The backing is a solid teal cotton, and the binding is the same. I didn't want anything to compete with the pretty patterns on the top.


I'm not a quilting purist, so I machine quilted everything. The construction was simple, just sewing the jelly roll strips together for a clean line look. I straight-line quilted it, one line on either side of each seam.


This quilt would look PERFECT in Gray's room, but I am thrilled that it will be living with my friend and her new bundle of joy. I hope it keeps her toasty warm for a long time!


I have a plan for some mini-quilts coming up, but more on that later. It is going to be a very special project for me.



22 comments:

  1. When I get married or have a baby you better make me stuff toO! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. So simple but pretty :)

    Katy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty love that shade of blue come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. turned out beautiful, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your quilt! Beautiful colours balanced to straight lines, beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is my kind of quilt. I love the look of quilts, but hate cutting out all those little shapes. Jelly roll strips are just my speed!

    You did a great job, and the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE it! :) great job. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely baby gift! I, too, love the mix of blues and greens. You machine stitching is perfectly straight - I'm jealous. I am still working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely gorgeous! I'd love you to add this (and any other posts you like) to my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ! I am looking for a quilt idea for a friend of mine who is 8 weeks pregnant and I think this might be a winner. I love the look of this!

    I would love for you to share it at my new link party, Some Good Stuff: http://some-good-times.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-good-stuff-1.html

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are very clever. I love your quilt, it's so pretty! I've hopped over from simple things sunday. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so so beautiful!! and your stitches are absolutely perfect. great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, these are seriously beautiful. What a talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have skills, skills, skills! Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Your quilt has inspired me to want to start quilting and I've never made one before! Just wanted to thank you for linking up last week and let you know I featured your quilt today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very pretty! She'll love it and it will be a treasured heirloom, I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THis is gorgeous- love the colors you picked and simple design :)

    If you get a chance, love for you to share this at my Link Party: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/01/made-by-me-13-linky-party-and-features.html

    -Q

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE making quilts like this - and yours turned out so pretty! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...