Sunday, December 18, 2011

Natural Goodness Ornaments {Tutorial}

Here is my original post over at The Crafty Nest for Vanessa's 12 Days of Christmas. There were some seriously cute decor/gift ideas so if you missed it, go check it out!


Christmas Banner copy


Natural Goodness

Hey Ya'll! I'm Jenilyn and write all about my adventures in Mommyhood and crafting over at Grits & Giggles. I'm a southern girl who loves to cook, craft, and love on my Husband and 16 month old baby girl.



I love to collect ornaments. I have TONS of ornaments at home from special occassions, vacations, or unique finds at shops. We have a very ecclectic Christmas. Each ornaments has a story or an inspiration.

On a recent trip to Tennessee, I saw some adorable "natural" Christmas ornaments in a mountain shop, and I knew I had to have them on my tree this year. I want to share with you how to make your own "Natural Goodness" ornaments for your tree, or for your home! Throw them in a basket for a fun earthy decoration year-round. Materials


Plain Christmas Ornaments
Jute
3-4 sticks (1/2"-1" in diameter)
Saw or Drimmel Tool
Hot glue


Directions

Step 1: Begin with the Jute ornament. Take the end of your jute and tie a knot (leave it on the spool, don't cut it!)





Step 2: Place some hot glue on the bottom center of your ornament and glue the knot down



Step 3: Begin wrapping your jute around the ornament, gluing a little as you go




Step 4: Continue wrapping, pressing each round of jute into the previous one to get good coverage on the ornament.




Step 5: When you get to the top of the ornament, cut off the and of your jute, tie a knot and glue it down.

 To make the "Woodsy" ornament, begin by carefully cutting your sticks. Cut discs 1/4" to 1/2" thick using a saw or drimmel tool.You will need around 50 disks to cover your ornament. Don't worry if they're a little misshapen, or have rough edges, that's what makes them beautiful!




 Begin gluing your disks around your ornament. Try to fill in gaps and holes with smaller or broken pieces.



Step 9: Continue gluing until your ornament is covered with woodsy goodness.


Tie a ribbon or jute tie on the top of each ornament, hang and enjoy!



Or place them in a basket and enjoy year round. Just remove the "ornament hanger" and cover with wood or jute.





Pin It

Brought to you by:



GritsAndGiggles

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I love the naturalness of them. I'm your newest follower from The Girl Creative's Creative Blog Roll!

    Dianna
    craft-a-spell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...