Friday, May 11, 2012

The Memory Quilts {Part 2}

 The Memory Quilts were unveiled at a special Mother's Day supper last week. We almost....ALMOST had everyone there, but we missed one person.

I had to get a few pictures of them before packing them up and sending them off to their new homes.

The task of making 4 matching quilts was a little daunting, especially since I wanted them to be a surprise.

I started calling them "The Quadruplets".

To keep things simple, I did a 6" square patchwork. The finished size of each quilt was 36" x 48". The binding and backing for each quilt was a different color for each grandchild, to make them each a little unique.


I was a little worried about them being "blah" with little color, but the plaids played so well together and made a rainbow of stripes.


Piecing them was wonderful. If you've never felt 30 year old flannel that's been washed hundreds of times, you've never felt true softness. These fabrics are woven beauties.


I had a very hard time deciding who would get what color, and which one I wanted!


At any birthdays/Christmas/special occasions...if you got money in a card, Papa would offer to "hold it" for you. In honor of that trademark of his, I sewed a money-pocket to the back of each quilt from a shirt pocket.


The quilting was simple. Clean straight lines to outline the patchwork.


Even though they're new, they are sooooo vintage, and look so warm and homey.


I hate for the "quadruplets" to be split up, because they look so nice together.


But they had better homes to go to.


I packaged them up, one for each grandchild (and family)



I think everyone loved them. I know I will cherish ours.
Ya'll have already been introduced to my little family Here.


Treasured memories of a treasured man.


And just because I love this picture..... Me and Mama.


My next few projects are going to be much smaller, less complex, and less emotional. Maybe a potholder or something. I need a sewing break after these 4....

12 comments:

  1. So beautiful! That is truly a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great! I would have been absolutely petrified to make the first cut into the flannel....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilts look so fantastic. You have created such a treasure for everyone who received one. They look so warm and comfy and full of love. You are all lucky to have had a great Pop by the sounds of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenilyn,
    What a heartfelt tribute to a wonderful man. I am sure it was very emotional putting these all together but what lasting memories you all will have! Great job!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenilyn,
    What a heartfelt tribute to a wonderful man. I am sure it was very emotional as you put these together but what treasured memories you all have now. I especially like the pocket on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous! What a lovely project. I am making a plaid quilt for my son right now, so I had to check out your link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful project and what great memories of a wonderful man! We're so glad you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks for coming and we hope you'll be back. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - - you were featured yesterday!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look awesome! I love the pocket on the back. That's so sweet! Thank you for sharing at The Little Giggler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am allowing anonymous comments for the giveaway only. All others will be deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! You have made so beautiful and special quilts! I'm a big fan of shirts and they were in fact reason why I starte to make patchworks! I like all those prints and earthy colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a lover of plaid and flannel and up-cycling shirts for the amazing plaids! I've made two plaid quilts myself so I know what you mean about washed flannel - soooo soft!! I love your four quilts together - and that little pocket on the back - superb!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...