Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Memory Quilts {Part 1}

Several months ago, right before Christmas, my Papa WON his battle with cancer. I say won, because he fought hard and is no longer hurting and fighting that terrible battle. We miss him terribly, but his stories, and his legacy live on in his family, and for that we are all thankful.

He was NOT fond of having his picture taken, but I managed to round up a few from the past couple of years for a trip down memory lane...

Holding Gray ...she was HIS girl. And she loved visiting her Papa. It always meant shared ice cream and popsicles.


Generations of Clemson Grads. The men in our family are Tigers all the way.


At Gray's baptism. We've all been part of the same church for years and years.


They made the trip down for my second college graduation. It was a LONG trip, but it was nice to have them there. (Gray was a little spec in my belly in this picture!) We had just found out I was pregnant.


Granny and Papa were married for 56 years. WOW.


We celebrated Papa's 82nd birthday last summer.


To honor his memory, and to preserve his unmatched collection of plaid shirts, I wanted to make something very special for the grandchildren.


It took months of cutting, piecing, and sewing....but the memory quilts are done. And they're beautiful.


I never knew how soft and beautiful plaid shirts of cotton and flannel could be. Especially after being worn since the 80's, 90's....for hundreds of washes. They were perfect.

More Tomorrow.....

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing it, thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute! I'm sure your papa would be proud! I'm excited to see the result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea! I can't wait to see it tomorrow! It's hard when your Dad passes on, isn't it? Especially if your memories were so special... xo wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing made quilts from flannel shirts also for my children and kept some and also made a sunbonnet sue quilt and used some for her dress so many uses.enjoy your site so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...