Friday, July 8, 2011

Ruffled Streamers Tutorial

Birthday time is getting closer! I'm scratching more things off of my "to-do" list for Gray's party. I have finally finished ruffling all of the streamers that I want to brighten up our back yard! I know there are tons of tutorials and how-to guides on making streamers for parties...but I haven't seen a pink and green one yet...so here is a little tutorial on making your own fun ruffled streamers!!


Materials:
2 colors of crepe paper streamers
coordinating thread
sewing machine (you can do it by hand...but I would find a friend with a sewing machine if I was you!)


To get yourself set up for an easier experience....grab a dowel and put your streamers on it, holding it between your legs. You'll be thankful for this!

Overlap your two streamer ends, making sure you have enough overlap to sew down the middle. They can be as skinny or wide as you like.

I threaded my bobbin with pink thread and used a spool of green, then stitched on the opposite color so the thread would show up! If you want to hide your thread, stitch like colors on each other. Set your stitch length to a longer setting. Mine is set at 4.

And to make your life easier, to instantly ruffle your streamers without having to pull and wrestle with them to get it right...just hold some tension on the thread coming off the spool. This will very evenly ruffle your streamer/fabric or whatever else you're using!

Keep sewing, and sewing, and sewing. Yes this gets a little tedious and long, but it's soooo worth it.
I cut my streamers halfway to make two sets and to make it easier to roll up and store. Just make sure you tie off the ends so the ruffle doesn't come undone!

Roll them up until you're ready to use them!

Hang, admire, and listen to the Oooohs, Ahhhhs, and compliments!
I will post "after" pictures of them hanging at Gray's party. It's just 30 days away now!
If you want to be super colorful...you can always add a third color down the middle of your other two!

Imagine all of the combinations for different holidays too....red and green for Christmas, pastels for Easter, orange and black for Halloween!

Happy Crafting!

7 comments:

  1. New gfc follower through the blog hop

    http://40plussinglebbw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever!
    Would you be willing to share this at our Weekly Playdate link party? This week's party is here: http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/07/playdate-link-party-blog-hop-16-all.html

    Cheers,
    Lori
    Come & Play :: Playdate
    www.beneaththerowantree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. liking your blog:) new follower through the hop:) keep up the good crafting and sharing:) renate

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that!? I love it! So did you have to hold tension on the thread the whole time? Or just at the beginning? We've got a party coming up soon... --Christine @ Why We Love Green, visiting from Voiceboks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christine! Definitely hold tension the whole time, or it won't ruffle when you're not holding it. Good luck with your party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea and just might use it for my baby girl's first birthday next month! Found you at Fingerprints on the Fridge and am your newest follower. :)

    PS--I'd love for you to stop by my blog this weekend and link this up with So Sweet Sundays!

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...