Saturday, June 25, 2011

Loving the Red, White and Blue

Hubby loves a decorated house for the holidays. Unfortunately for him, I haven't had the energy or determination to really go all out for the holidays (except Christmas of course) since we've been married.

This year I decided to make us a wreath to add a little bit of patriotic color to our front door for the 4th of July! I missed Memorial Day, but there's always next year. I love the way it turned out, and I want to share it with you!

Patriotic Wreath Tutorial
 

Materials:
1 foam wreath
1 package of yarn
Fabric or felt for flowers
Hot Glue
Ribbon
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Begin by wrapping your yarn around the wreath. This is the longest part and can give you a real headache. It's easier if you ball your yarn first, but I'm not patient enough to do that!


Once your wreath is covered, tie of the yarn end and set aside. Now, go to your fabric scrap, or felt drawer and find some material to make flowers, stars, whatever you want to put on your wreath. I had some leftover fabric from Gray's Memorial Day top seen HERE. I'll show you how to make the flowers.

Cut your fabric into long strips. Mine were probably about 24" long and 3" wide.
 

We need to ruffle them. Fold them in half long-ways, wrong sides together and run a long basting stitch down the length. *Do not backstitch*  Now pull on your bobbin thread (the one on the bottom) to ruffle your fabric. They don't have to be supper tight or even since we're making flowers.
 

Cut out some felt to glue your flowers to. Start on the outside and hot glue the flower in a spiral towards the center, making a flower shape.
 

TaaDaa!! Wasn't that easy!
 

Make as many flowers/stars as you would like and then hot glue them onto your wreath. Add a ribbon, hang, and enjoy!
 
 
 

If you make this wreath I would love to see your version
 in our Flickr Group

Featured at:
 
Featured At Serenity Now



10 comments:

  1. Nice work, super cute! What a great (and rather quick) idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!

    I'm a follower from last week's blog hop! I would love for you to return the follow :)

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. following from the hop, please stop by. Would love a follow back!!! www.crichmanfreebies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great craft project, and very festive! I love your blog! I'm stopping by from the Design it Chic HOP and I'm definitely your newest follower :-)
    lifewiththehawleys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    What a great idea...I found you from the lower your Alexa rank hop...Please stop by and say hi...Areyouamom.com
    Thanks,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful wreath!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I've been looking for something to hang on my door. Now I just have to get to the craft store ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute, and easily can be modified w/different colors for other holidays! Don't know if I can get this done before 4th of July... what colors represent Labor Day? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks cute AND easy. My favorite type of craft!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute wreath! Found the wreath from Artsy Fartsy Mama's wreath roundup!

    Cheers,
    Julia
    It's Always Ruetten

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...