Wednesday, October 24, 2012

{Tutorial} Tulle Dress

Today I'm bringing home another tutorial for the Halloween season! This guest post was over at FreeTime Frolics as part of their Halloween Masquerade series, celebrating the food, costumes, decor, and parties that we all love at Halloween.

I've had to hide this TuTu dress from Gray for the past few weeks, because she insists on wearing it all. the. time. It's a good problem to have, but I want it to be intact for Halloween! After next week, it's all hers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Jenilyn, author of Grits & Giggles. I love to share my adventures in sewing, crafting, and being a mommy! I'm so excited to be at FreeTime Frolics today to share with you how to put together a TuTu Dress fit for a princess!

My daughter's favorite song is "You Are My Sunshine". She sings it all day and it never gets old to hear! She loves to dress up and twirl, so I knew for Halloween she needed a sparkly tulle dress. I wanted it to be golden and beautiful, just like the sunshine in her favorite song. 


Let's get started!

Materials:
1" Elastic
Tulle- 100 yards for a 2T size
Flower Clip
Coordinating Ribbon



Measure around your little girl's chest. This is your elastic length. Overlap by 1" and sew the ends together. You want it fitted, but not too tight. 


Measure her height from her chest to where you want the tutu to fall. Multiply this by 2 and add 3". This will be your tulle length.
ex: my measurement was 20"....so my tulle length was 20x2+3= 43"

Cut strips of tulle this length and the width of your spool. You will need a LOT, especially if you use a light color. 


I place the elastic band around my leg for support. Place 2-3 strips of your tulle, in different colors, together and fold in the middle. Slip this under your elastic band.


Then pull the ends of the tulle through, creating a knot. Don't pull it too tight yet, as the elastic will stretch when you do. Wait until you're finished to tighten. 


Continue tying these knots all the way around the elastic, alternating colors and combinations. Gently tighten your knots when you're done. 


To add a halter strap, cut a long length of your ribbon, and tie a similar knot, between two knots of tulle. 


Clip on your flower clip and you're done! Your tutu dress is ready to be worn and twirled in!


It flows beautifully, and sparkles in the October sun.







Thanks again for having me from Grits & Giggles!

Check out some of my other Halloween and Fall Tutorials!
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
*Happy Crafting*

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...