Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Halloween Wreath Tutorial

I know, I know...it's only September. But I am sooo excited for holidays and decorating now that Gray is here. We don't usually care too much about Halloween, but I wanted to do something a little festive, and a wreath is always a good way to go! I wanted to share my wreath with you and a little about how I put it together...It won't officially go on the door until the first of October.

Fun and Funky Halloween Wreath


This is a basic way to make ANY wreath for any occasion or holiday. Just change out the ribbon colors, ornaments, letters, and other embellishments.

Materials:

1 undecorated wreath- can be sticks, straw, or wire if you want.
Tulle
Ribbon (wired works best)
Ornaments
Floral wire
Wooden letters
Paint


Start by making your embellishments. I made several ribbon "tails" by first cutting two or three lengths of ribbon.


Pinch the center of each ribbon


Gather them together with the centers pinched.


Use floral wire to hold the ribbons together. Wrap the wire around the ribbons a couple of times and twist at the back. Leave a few inches of wire on the back to attach it to your wreath.


Make some tulle "flares" by cutting several lengths of tulle and gathering in the middle.


Twist wire around the center and poof the tulle upward as you tighten it.


Make some tulle "poofs"  by wrapping tulle around your hand 3-4 times, then gathering in the center with wire. Fluff the loops of tulle to make a "poof"


Admire your pile of embellishments


I made one BIG bow for the middle of my wreath.


Now it's time to assemble....

Use the floral wire on the back of your "poofs", "flares" and "tails" to attach them to your wreath. You could use a hot glue gun, but it's soooo much easier to move things around with just using the wires.


I added my flares first to stick out the sides of the wreath.


Add your other embellishments wherever you think they look best. You can pile them on, or just have a few....it's totally up to you!


I liked where all of mine were, so it's time for the next step.


I found some cute little orange and black ornaments and knew where they had to go! Use floral wire in the loops of the ornaments to attach them to your wreath.


I made bunches of two or three to make them show up better.


If you want to add words or letter, maybe even a monogram, paint your wooden letters. Glue floral wire to the backs, or just hot glue the letters right onto the wreath.


And voila!! A funky and festive Halloween Wreath!



I can't wait to decorate and carve a few pumpkins, throw out some hay and get our house looking Oh-So-Fall gorgeous!

Happy Crafting!

11 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! I am already a gfc follower of your great blog, now pinterest following you too! Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love the tulle! I never think of stuff like that! It looks great!
    Ky
    http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I am such my daughter would love this! I am a new follower from the Monday Blog Hop! I would appreciate if you followed me back. Check out my blog at http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this wreath! I'm including it in a mega Halloween Wreath round-up post in October : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! and thanks for the tutorial.

    I would love it if you share this project at my link party @ http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cute Wreath! I love the ribbon and tulle together. Stopping in from See Vanessa Craft's Halloween Linky Party. Thanks for sharing!

    Anna @ Bean Bug Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted you to know that I've featured your Halloween Wreath in my 36 Halloween Party Decorating Ideas. You can find the post here: http://beanbugcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/10/36-halloween-party-decoration.html

    Thanks for Sharing!
    Anna @ Bean Bug Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...