Sunday, February 24, 2013

Freezer Cooking

I've been trying to be WAY more organized around our house while I've been home on maternity leave. We've rearranged some rooms, done some cleaning out, and been working on budgeting better with our now larger family.
 
One way I've been trying to help with our budget is paying even closer attention to our grocery bill. I'm already a couponer, and always shop with a list, but I've added freezer cooking to my new agenda as well!
 
Freezer cooking is where you spend a morning/afternoon/day washing and chopping meats and veggies to make pre-assembled packages of meals to throw in the freezer. Then when you're ready to cook, you just thaw them out and throw them in the skillet or crock pot. I made a batch of 7 meals with just a couple of hours of chopping. Aren't they colorful and pretty??

 
These first few were experiments and I'm looking forward to making a lot more. This batch included packs of barbeque chicken, fajitas, beef stew, and stir fry. All of the spices and marinades have been included as well, so they're ready to go when we are! I made sure to throw in lots of veggies too, hoping that Hubby gets tired of picking around them and just eats them.
 
On top of saving time with prepwork, and allowing you to throw the food in the crockpot and forget about it, these meals save money too! When you make large batches of food, you can buy larger cuts and packages of meat and save LOTS of money by buying in bulk!
 
I'll keep you updated on how these meals turn out, and add some recipes as I make more bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...