Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Tee {Tutorial}

It's the most WoNdErFuL Time of the Year! I love the Christmas season for sooo many reasons: Jesus's Birthday, time with family, twinkly lights, pretty paper, parades.....

To get Gray in the spirit with me, she needed something festive to wear! I'm going to show you how to make this simple, but adorable Christmas Tree Tee for your little one. Seriously, this took me about 30 minutes so it's a perfect naptime project!

 

Materials:
Plain t-shirt
green knit (scraps, or from an old t-shirt)
red ribbon
"sewing things"


Start by cutting your green strips. I cut 7 total, 1" wide and the following lengths: 10", 9", 8", 7" 6", 5", 4". If you need a smaller tree, take out two larger strips, if you need a larger tree, add a couple to the bottom. Mine was for a size 18 month shirt.

Also cut a 5" piece of red ribbon


Now we need to make Ruffles! Set your sewing machine to its longest stitch length and sew straight down the middle of each strip. Make sure you DON'T backstitch.


Grab the bobbin thread (the bottom one) on each strip and pull to ruffle your fabric strip. Pull until you get a nice, even ruffle. The 10" strip should end up to be about 7" in length once it's ruffled.


Pull and adjust each of your ruffles until you like the shape of your tree.


Pin each ruffle on and sew down the middle onto your shirt.


Keep sewing on ruffles until your tree is done. Make sure you backstitch at the beginning and end of each strip so they stay in place.


Stitch the middle of your red ribbon to the shirt. Tie it into a bow and hand tack the bow and tails in place so it doesn't come untied.


Put the tee on your little one and spread the holiday cheer!




Don't forget to check back next week when I'll be guest posting at two AmAzInG blogs, Johnny in a Dress, and The Crafty Nest. I've got a couple more suprises for you this week too!!! Lots of Christmas cheer is coming your way!

15 comments:

  1. Looks great and it is so simple and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! Easy and adorable! Visiting from COM and wanted to invite you over to my place to link this up to my fashion linky party! It's called DIY Diva Thursdays and we party every TH-M :) HOpe to see you!

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she is absolutely adorable {and the shirt too}! Maybe I'll have time to add this to my DIY to do list... maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious and your little model is simply adorable! ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS!! And your model is just beautiful! :) Would love for you to link up @ Find Your Craft Friday over on my blog... Have a great Friday!

    Emily @ BabyBerry
    http://weinzapfelbabyberry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to make one for my granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with your shirt and have featured it in my post as one of ten ways to redesign t-shirts: http://thedomesticatedprincess.blogspot.com/2012/11/from-t-shirt-to-treasure-part-2.html.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. I have been looking for something quick and easy for Christmas, for my little girl. If I get done with Christmas presents soon I might just have to whip one of these up.
    I am a visitor from Sugar Bee Crafts link in party, but after looking through your blog I love the sewing projects you have done for you and your daughter so now I am a follower. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute, and you make it look so easy that I might just give this one a try. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I featured you on my blog
    http://littlemomprairie.blogspot.com/2012/12/diy-holiday-round-up-ii.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...