Thursday, April 25, 2013

Learning to Save

Our family loves piggy banks. My Granny has a very neat collection that I've always admired, so when Gray was born, I knew she had to have some piggy banks of her very own. She got some from us, as gifts, and one from Granny's collection, and they are all beautifully displayed in her room.

She likes to put her change in them, whether its change she has found, or change she has weaseled out of her uncle Adam by batting her sweet little eyelashes. I love that she saves her change, but I want her to learn about "saving" too. It's not just about putting money in, but seeing the money you've saved over time.
 
I wanted her to have a way to see how much she was actually saving with her coins, so I made her a savings bank to keep her coins in until its time to stash them away into real savings. (Or for her to spend on something fun!) Being a two year old, I think she'll take the last option.
 
Here's how I put together her money jar.

 
Materials:
Medium sized glass jar with lid (I used an old pickle jar)
Vinyl lettering or fun stickers
 
 
I began by removing the label from my jar, and running it through the dishwasher a few times to remove an food smells and get it nice and clean.


 
I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out a large "G" and the name Grayson, as well as some polka dots from adhesive vinyl. You can use stickers, or vinyl lettering from craft stores too!


Place your large letter in the center of the jar first.

 
Then apply the whole name on top.

 
Add dots or other decorations to make the jar unique and fun. You can match it to a nursery or bedroom too.

 
And you're DONE! I left the lid intact so there would be no sharp edges from cutting a hole. And what little kid doesn't love taking the lids off of things!

 
Drop a few coins in to get them started.


Once her jar is full, it will be time to roll the coins and let her do a little shopping.
I can't wait to see it fill up!

5 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! This will get her so excited to save her change! New follower :)

    Chrissy
    www.everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving money is hard work! but you totally make it fun!

    Yay you!
    Have a happy and frugal Monday…. :)

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Definitely doing this with both kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really adorable. What a fun idea! Thanks! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi mỹ, gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp và dịch vụ chuyển phát nhanh đi hàn quốc uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...